Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Ideas for Parents

Yesterday we used Ben's lunch break to open an account with the UCCU credit union on UVU campus. The bank card is also the UVU ID card, door unlocking card, and bus pass. So of course Ben must have it. School starts next week, so there was a line of first time students with parents also waiting to open accounts. We were waiting in line for a long time.

Eventually a back-to-school mommy came in with her two boys, ages 6 and 8, I guess. She also wanted to open an account. So they joined the long line in the crowded little room. Little boys have lots of energy and have a hard time being still, standing in line, being quiet, etc, especially at lunchtime. She gave them some money to go across the hall to the UVU bookstore to buy some candy. YAY! They were gone for a while. Choosing one candy each out of all the options is difficult. When they got back...

The little boy was upset. After he bought his candy, he opened it and ate a piece. And--DISASTER!--it was a package of cough drops. It tasted gross and he had to spit it out and now wanted more money for real candy. The mom laughed. And apologized because she wasn't going to give out more money for candy. And told him he could put the cough drops in the medicine cabinet at home. Oh so sad for the little boy.

The big boy was proud of himself. He bought gum. But mom was upset. They aren't allowed gum. They make a mess with gum. You know you aren't allowed gum! So she took the gum away. Oh so sad for the big boy.

Funny story. But there are several things I don't understand. Parenting lessons for other mommies:

1. Why did she send them for candy? Hyperactive little boys waiting in line at a bank at lunchtime don't need sugar. They need lunch. With protein in it. Maybe a sandwich from Subway, which was also across the hall.

Parenting lesson #1: feed your children protein, not sugar. Then sugar afterwards.

2. Why didn't she bring along some toys or coloring for them to do while they waited. She wasn't just opening an account. She was also buying her textbooks and all the stuff you do when school starts. Lots of long lines and very boring. They could have been doing coloring or reading or playing with Hot Wheels or something.

Parenting lesson #2: bring distractions when running errands.

3. Why did these boys fail to buy good candy? Cough drops?!?!? Gum!?!?! There were candy bars and gummi things and licorice and chocolates. Perhaps they don't have enough experience with candy to choose good candy.

Parenting lesson #3: educate your children about candy and familiarize them with the various types so they can recognize packaging. They need to know the difference between candy and medicine.

8 comments:

Ben McMurry said...

I love #3. All children should be educated about candy!

Ben McMurry said...

And for the record . . . . Halls is sold as candy in Mexico.

Merry said...

Hahahahahaha! This had me cracking up. The first two lessons seem obvious. These are just good parenting. But I would never have thought about the third one. I would totally be this mom until it happened the first time. I would just assume that my 6-year-old knew what candy was. But there is no excuse for the kid who got the gum. :D

Robb said...

I agree that this is sound advice.

I also form parenting tips while observing other parents. (such as "Do not take children grocery shopping when you know they are going to be tired; leave them at home with the other parent.")

And like Ben, I think tip #3 is extremely awesome/important but sadly overlooked in parenting books.

Wishing we lived closer so you could share your wisdom with Samuel.

Carolyn said...

You're really funny. You should write a book about your parenting tips based on observing in public spaces. Seriously. But please don't ever observe me in public with my kids because I'm sure I would fail to meet your standards. He he. I wonder what Audrey and Megan would choose if I gave them money and said go away to a store and buy something. Frankly, they are only 1 year younger (each) than those kids you saw and I wouldn't send them off like that because I'm a paranoid mom who thinks they'll be abducted. But then the rules may be different when you live in the bubble . . . I mean Provo/Orem.

Alison said...

A book, huh. That sounds interesting.

I just observe what other people do and squirrel the information away for future use. I don't know that I would do any better if I had kids.

And I wouldn't have sent them across the hall unsupervised even though I do live in The Bubble. I would have asked the man at the desk for suckers. He had a bunch of them, but they were down behind the counter and she didn't know they were there.

Carolyn said...

Yeah, free suckers are even better! Actually, I usually carry candy in my purse for just such an occasion as long lines.

Ashley Ann said...

All very good advice. Lucky for me, Cam always comes prepared with activities and candy. That is either because she is a true Brinkerhoff/Irvine or because she has been with her mother, who is often unprepared. Just making it out the door with 2 kids feels like an accomplishment. I never realize I don't have things like snacks, activities, and diapers until I need them.