Friday, September 05, 2014

90 Days without a tailbone

This may be the last post for a while about my recent coccygectomy. I might give a 6 month and a 1 year report, but I may not.

A few weeks ago I was moving boxes from my old office to my new one (UVU --> BYU). After lifting two boxes, I felt some muscle pain in my lower back. I stopped lifting the boxes, but have been feeling sore on and off ever since.

At 90 days, the surgeon said I would be able to resume riding my bike. I decided to talk to the doctor one last time before I did that. He had also indicated that if I still had pain in 90 days that I should make an appointment.

My feeling is that my months of a rather sedentary lifestyle have caused some muscle atrophy and stiffness. The surgeon's PA with whom I spoke today seemed to say the same thing. He told me I could gradually return to more strenuous activities including bike riding. He seemed optimistic that the pain would eventually go away.

So, I went on a nice 10 minute bike ride around the neighborhood. I found that my sit bones were a little sore since I lost the habit of regular cycling. I had no pain in the area of the removed coccyx until I peddled faster or stood up. By the end of the ride, I didn't feel any worse than I do after sitting.

At this point, I think that the surgery was a success. I can ride a bike again where I couldn't really do so 4 months ago. My hope is that the pain will continue to decrease, but I am prepared to be among the many who have had back surgeries and live with mild pain throughout their life. I'm realistically optimistic.

No comments: